This is the SECRET PAGE for Level 1 students in Fall semester 2021; please don’t share the page or the links with other people. I’ll update it each week, after class has occurred.
How to get to the Zoom class (same info for all classes for the entire semester!)
- Meeting #: 876 746 0037
- Password: 231199
- You can download Zoom and plug in the meeting # & password OR you can use this link:
- Link:https://portlandcc.zoom.us/j/8767460037?pwd=M09BQkNLRzR5RXRRaFBDOFNlZVhNQT09 (you will likely need to cut & paste this)
Class videos are available for 2 weeks.
Week 4 – FIX IT week!
This week, we fix anything that’s not really working — we got thru the entire sequence from week 3 EXCEPT for the Front Rowing sequence. We’ll nitpick that one in Week 5.
CLICK HERE for the Week 4 video
This week’s additions:
- 100 with legs in Table Top (we did a 50 with the feet down and a 50 in Tabletop)
- The Gas Pedal concept — engaging your seat and pushing your feet to turn on more power in the Powerhouse
- McGill crunch in Gas Pedal position
- McGill crunch in Diamond position
- 1/2 rolldown in Diamond position
Rolldown Tip: look for 2 caution markers! If your low back is working, gripping/complaining, you’re going back too far. A full range Rolldown isn’t appropriate for everyone — work outside of pain.
- Single Leg Circle with leg rotation. Notice: is rotation easier on one side? You just found a right/left asymmetry — AKA Kryptonite zone
- Ab Series Upper Powerhouse focus
Ab Series Tip: look for 3 caution markers! If your low back is arching, working, gripping/complaining, your is moving too low. Aim higher to fix.
- Spine Stretch Forward in Diamond position + arm lever variations
- Front Rowing 1 AKA: Hug a Tree
- Front Rowing 2 AKA Shaving
- Front Rowing 3 AKA From the Chest
- Front Rowing 4 AKA From the Hip
Seated Upright Tip: if you have the urge to slouch back, it means that your ‘backline’ is tight. Bend your knees and/or raise your hips until you can comfortably sit tall. Every once in awhile. try sitting on something taller even if you don’t “need” it — check in with how that affects your movements.
CLICK HERE for the Week 3 video
Pilates Christmas cards! I love the one where Clara is telling Joe to hinge more and reach those arms up and back.
My sleuth-friend, Elaine Ewing found more archival Pilates pics and articles! The focus of her posts today was using Pilates apparatus to increase vocal endurance and projection. While we were talking about it on Facebook, one of our Pilates teacher friends said, “oh yes, when I was 14 and singing in The Sound of Music, Roberta Peters taught me Mr Herman’s breathing techniques AND Mr Pilates’ breathing techniques.” (for the Opera fans in the house, this is SO cool — Roberta Peters is a legend!)
My newly organized fridge! Game changer items: lazy susans and stackable glass containers from Rubbermaid that all use the same size lid.